PRSA Mid-Atlantic APR Boot Camp
April 10–12, 2019
326 Market St
Harrisburg, PA 17101
Registration deadline: March 4, 2019
The PRSA Mid-Atlantic District is hosting its fifth annual District APR Boot Camp April 10–12 at Harrisburg University in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania! (We hosted the country’s first district boot camps, too.) The APR Boot Camp is a three-day intensive course for candidates to prepare and advance through the Readiness Review™ and take the computer-based Examination for Accreditation in Public Relations (APR) or Accreditation in Public Relations + Military Communication (APR+M). This course is designed to provide a setting that will meet the needs of busy professionals whose schedules don’t permit going to numerous meetings.
The cost of the APR Boot Camp is $400.
Please note: There is an additional $385 fee to take the APR exam on April 12 at 2 p.m.; however, those fees are at least partially reimbursed by both PRSA National, pending successful completion of the exam.
Start studying early! It is important to attend the boot camp prepared for training. The study guide and a book are important.
Here is the link to the study guide: Select open URL after clicking on the link: http://www.praccreditation.org/resources/documents/apr-study-guide.pdf
Look at the short list of books recommended within the APR Study Guide. Read at least one book. Two of the recommended books include: Cutlip and Center’s Effective Public Relations. 10th ed. Or a more recent version may now be available, Glen M. Broom Upper Saddle River: Prentice-Hall, 2008. KSAs/Competencies Covered. Another book recommended is Public Relations: Strategies and Tactics. 9th ed. Wilcox, Dennis L., and Glen T. Cameron. Boston: Allyn & Bacon, 2008. A more recent version may now be available.
Additional details and the full schedule are below. Spots are limited to 18 participants, so register soon.
Registration Deadline: March 4, 2019
Have questions? Email PRSA Central PA APR Chapter Host for Mid-Atlantic District APR Boot Camp, Amy Hill, APR at firstname.lastname@example.org or National APR Chair Kathy Mulvihill at Kathy.email@example.com
Also, see the very important APR Study Guide
- For APR, candidate must be a member of PRSA and/or a Universal Accreditation Board participating organization.
- For APR+M, candidates must be either (1) military personnel (active or reserve) or DoD civilian employees whose primary responsibilities lie in military communication-related fields or (2) DOD military contractors, who are members of a UAB participating organization and whose primary responsibilities lie in military communication-related fields.
- Approved APR application (or APR+M application) and the Examination fee of $385 received by PRSA National by the registration deadline.
- Seminar registration form and applicable registration fee received by the registration deadline (required in advance to clear Prometric authorization).
- Download and complete the APR Panel Presentation Questionnaire or APR+M Panel Presentation Questionnaire. Email your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org by the registration deadline. Your questionnaire will be provided to the Panel Presentation panelists for familiarization of your background and expertise in the public relations profession. Note: there will be no opportunities to change this Questionnaire once it is submitted.
- Must have portfolio items assembled but not necessarily finalized.
- Must bring own laptop.
Elizabeth M. Smith, MBA, APR, 2015 chair of PRSA Mid-Atlantic District; president of Integrated Communications Ventures facilitates the Readiness Review preparation (Day 1).
Jason S. Kirsch, APR
Jason S. Kirsch, APR, senior counselor, PRworks, facilitates the computer-based Examination preparation (Days 2 and 3).
Amy Beisel Hill APR
Amy B. Hill, APR, director of advocacy and public policy, Central Pennsylvania Food Bank, facilitates the computer-based Examination preparation (Days 2 and 3).
Wednesday, April 10
- 8:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. EDT
- Morning workshop spent reviewing KSAs.
- Portfolio overview.
- Mock Panel Presentation.
- 12:30–1:30 p.m. EDT
Lunch — provided by the Mid-Atlantic District.
- 1:30–5 p.m. EDT
- Preparation time for those attendees putting finishing touches on assembling their portfolios.
- Panel Presentations will take place as scheduled.
Thursday, April 11
- 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m. EDT
- Attendees should already have been advanced from Panel Presentation.
- Class for KSAs in preparation for the computer-based Examination.
- Lunch provided by PRSA National.
Friday, April 12
- 8:30 a.m.–Noon EDT
- Continuation of class for KSAs in preparation for the computer-based Examination.
- Noon–1 p.m. EDT
Lunch — attendees on their own.
- Computer-based Examination
Start Time: 2 p.m. EDT
(Appointment time is three hours, 45 minutes.)
Computer-based Examination administration at:
Prometric Testing Center
1100 N. Mountain Rd.
Harrisburg, PA 17112
Venue for Three-Day APR Training
326 Market St
Harrisburg, PA 17101
Need a Hotel?
We have a room block at the Crowne Plaza, 23 South 2nd St., Harrisburg, PA, 17101, for April 9–13 with a nightly rate of $129, plus taxes. It is a good idea to arrive by the night of April 9 because the program begins on April 10 at 8:30 a.m. The cutoff date for the room block is March 27.
There is a parking rate at the hotel of $20 per night, and the APR Boot Camp site is within walking distance.
Taxis and Uber are recommended for out-of-town attendees coming from the airport.
Please call the hotel directly at (717) 234-5021 and ask for the PRSA room block when making your reservation.